Friday, May 27, 2005

The sun is coming out...

Joy!

Last night my husband and I braved the big charm city to attend Cirque Du Soleil - Varekai. I was lucky enough to win two tickets from a drawing at DuClaws so paying for ridiculous parking garages and trying to navigate through Fells Point and Inner Harbor didn't seem so bad.

The show was amazing. I was a tad worried that Craig would be too grouchy after the drive to B'more to enjoy it, but he seemed just as happy as I was. The seats weren't great, but they were still awesome (and free free free) and both of us were really taken in with the amazing performance. I loved it. He loved it. It was wonderful.

In the past I haven't been that taken with Cirque's costuming. Some shows have concepts that don't really speak to me, but these costumes were perfect. Everything was perfect.

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, we got home late, but it still proved to be a nice morning once we dragged ourselves out of bed. Thankfully we both have short days today (Craig is off at noon, I'm off at 3pm) and can go home and nap with our kitty for a little bit.

Good news continues to abound. We think we have found the car we want to buy to replace my Acura. Hoorah.
We think we have found the house we want to rent. Hoorah.
And I was just offered my job on a permanent basis from my boss. I can't say how happy this makes me. Being a temp is great - and I love my agency, but the relief that I will have a job that can't be cut off early, that I won't be bounced around from company to company, it's overwhelming. No more indefinite dry spells with no work. Best of all, they don't mind my military dependant status. I've been doing temp long-term work for so long because no one wants to hire a woman who will have to move in 2-3 years (or less). No one wants to promote her (no matter how well she does the job) being military is worse than being pregnant in terms of job interviews.

But my boss doesn't care, the company is National (with offices in most of the towns we may be moved too), the parent company is International. And they're perfectly happy to keep people even if they move. I'm so...relieved.

A permanent job means other things too. Steady money means I can return to college (previously an off and on thing when I was temping...one semester with tons of classes, another with none). What's more my office is near the campus (community college) which means night classes are definitely an option again. Play my cards right and I may actually be able to finish my degree in the next few years.

A steady job also means that if my husband decides to get out of the military when he's last tour is over he can wait for a little while before he picks his next job/career. Any number of companies will hire him today - nice high paying companies. But I want him to have a chance to really research and choose which company he wants, which one will give him the greatest freedom and allow him to do the stuff he wants rather than a job that sorta uses his skills-but not really. I want him to finally be in an environment where he can be appreciated for the genius he is and allowed to grow - unlike the military where they discourage the smart ones and encourage the back-stabbing politics.

I guess this is a pretty unintelligible, rambling post - but I just need to let all these ideas flow. I'm in a really good place right now and I think that things may start to get better. And we really need things to get better for a little while.

No comments: