Monday, May 16, 2005

Cow kisses - Angel Dreams

A triumphant return! My husband came in first in his class for both days of autocrossing. He also placed very well overall in raw scores and placed second in the ever elusive and confusing PAX. Regardless of the technicalities and difficult math - I'm proud of my husband. He drives fast. Do a little cheer...yey for Craig.

It was a very nice weekend too. We managed to not get any rain whatsoever and both of us have returned sans sunburns (my only goal for the entire weekend). We're both pretty exhausted and as a Murphy's Law abiding citizen the cold I've been battling for the past week finally came and got me good on Saturday night. But we're still doing pretty well even with the stuffy nose and sore throat.

Normally when we go to Cumberland we'll stay at a B&B downtown. They were booked this weekend so I opted for another one that purported to be just as close to the airport (where the autocross was held) as any other place. It wasn't - but it wasn't that far. However we received the kind of directions to the place that Marylanders are so good at giving. "Get off the interstate where you see the barn then go north till you find ***** road and drive over the bridge and we're there."

Of course me being at work till five and my husband refusing to pack his things beforehand meant that we didn't get to Cumberland till well past sundown. Finding the barn was out of the question. I had yahoo-ed a map off the internet...but their directions weren't much better considering the area was full of unpaved and unmarked narrow roads. We crawled down a few of them for about 45 minutes before I finally figured out a new plan and after much searching we finally found a metal bridge and at the end of the road a big white house covered in christmas lights - blinking.

I should have guessed this place would be one of -those- B&B's. The name contained the words "Angelica" in it...and they didn't disappoint. The place was filled with angels. Angel paintings, angel candles, angel chain weights, angel toilet paper, wallpaper, carpet, furniture upholstery. ALL ANGELS. I was tired enough to not really care too much that night, but by morning I was beginning to feel freaked out by the constant staring of angels all around me.

I also found out later that this place advertises as a romantic getaway. (Not how I found them.) However, the fact that you have thousands of angels looking down on your sinful ways and that the owner of the B&B gives off the vibe of being a strict and disapproving mother to all young couples - and sleeps on the same floor and next door to all three available rooms - does not foster a romantic feeling. On Saturday night we left the autocross party early in order to make sure we got back to the inn before - well something - it felt like we were rushing so we wouldn't miss curfew.

I got my own back though, I was drunk, happy, and we threw the covers up and ignored the angels.

All that being said I wasn't impressed by the food and the kitch was a little much for me. But it was a roof over our head which is all we needed.

The party Saturday was great. It was on a farm owned by a huge corvette enthusiast. It was really quite impressive. He had two garages opened and walking through them is like walking through a museum. Also on the property was the most exciting part of my trip - COWS.

I often find it funny that when we go on trips for a specific reason my favorite parts are often the random and weird things having nothing to do with the actual purpose of our trip. Last year we went to a roadshow and autocross - my favorite part was the train we happened to see while walking to the carshow. We went to Pennsylvania for a driving school - my favorite part was seeing wild turkeys running around.

This time we went for a race and my favorite part was seeing a bunch of cows including a few babies. I've always liked cows and these were especially pretty cows. It was funny watching the young bulls try to look intimidating and protect the cows and calves. It was nearing sundown so we saw the rest of the herd (small herd) come in for dinner and to go to bed. The little babies would struggle up a mound of dirt, butting eachother off, and bleating for there moms. It was very nice. The best part though was when our hostess brought out old bread and treats for the cows. She handed us bags of the stuff and let us feed her cows. There was quite a push and it was a lot of fun. The best part though was giving a certain pretty chocolate colored cow a piece of bread and being rewarded with a few cow-lick-kisses on the hand. I was in love. All of the rest of that night and Sunday I would randomly giggle and smile, jumping around happily because I got kissed by a cow.

It still makes me happy thinking about it. Nice cows, sweet babies.

I got kissed by a cow!!!!! Yey!!!!!

No comments: