Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

My husband's birthday is today. He turned 30.

Thank you. Thank you to all the men and women who didn't turn 30. Thank you to all the Mothers and Fathers who never saw their children reach 30.

Thank you for my Grandfathers and Uncles who used to tell me horror stories and scare me with missing fingers.

Thank you for my Father who was around for my whole life and read books to me.

Thank you for my brother who let me tag along with him and taught me to drive a stick shift.

Thank you for my husband who came home, dressed in white, with a green bag on his back and the biggest, sweetest smile I've ever seen. Thank you for letting him be with me. Thank you for letting him father our children and protect our family. Thank you for protecting them yourself.

Thank you for letting my love turn thirty years old and letting me hold him tight when he does.

To the women who didn't get to meet their husbands smiling, thank you for being so strong. To the women who haven't heard from their soldiers and sailors and marines and airmen yet, you're here with me and all my strength is yours.

To the people who are still over there, thank you for letting my husband be here.

Thank you to everyone who came back.

Thank you for making my life so blessed.

No comments: