Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I'm bored

I pride myself on being able to combat boredom pretty well. As a child my Mother encouraged crafting and projects. My Father encouraged reading and writing. I always found something to do whether it was curling up with a good book or creating some god-awful beaded jewelry. Sometimes I went out on my own and just danced to the music in my head. I do that a lot. I'm probably insane.

However, no matter what I was doing I 1) was not getting into trouble and 2) was never ever bored.

As an adult I'm the same way. At work when things slow down I will make the rounds and find chores and such to do. At home there is always something to pick up or clean. I do tend to "veg" out a little more than normal now, but I still "veg" out while sewing or watching a good t.v. show.

That's why it's incredible to me that today: I'm bored. I'm incredibly bored. I'm tearing-my-hair-out-wanna-scream bored. And I'm getting paid for it.

My boss is out of the office today. So being the good little secretary that I am I have already gotten all the tasks he needed out of the way before he left. Then I contacted all the people who I knew would be calling and informed them he wouldn't be available. Then I got everything that everyone else needed finished. And now, there is nothing to do. I have asked everyone if they need help, I've reorganized the supply cabinet, I've cleaned my desk, his desk and the breakroom kitchen.

I'm bored.

I spent a good deal of time reading news articles and some stories I had put away. But now I've exhausted that too.

Thirty more minutes of nothing to do, and nothing to blog about because nothing happened today.

The one significant thought I had today was the pondering why Police never use their turn signals. I've never seen a cruiser use their signal once in my entire life. I followed one today on my way back from lunch. He changed lanes five times and turned twice and didn't signal once. Even when he was about to get on the freeway.

Isn't that, er, against the law? Although I suppose that they deserve to get away with a little lazy stupidity since they do work for the public and dedicate themselves to protecting us and keeping us safe. I guess I can't complain too much. No one else uses signals.

I do though. It's so ingrained that I automatically do it in empty parking lots. Oh well. At least I know where I'm going.

And clearly it's straight to boredom hell.

I wonder if I can knit with two pencils and some rubberbands....

No comments: