Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Which Witch is Witchy-er...

The other day I was confronted by a teenage witch who lectured me on "the old religion" and the "burning times" as well as her encyclopedic knowledge of "Silver Ravenwolf" and how proscecuted she is for being a "wiccan". Of course if you've studied modern day paganism and wicca you know that the religion is actually fairly young and new and the only "burning times" I really know about is that big party out in the desert. Furthermore, having studied and practiced magick and paganism for a few years now - I've yet to really run into any persecution. I once had a friend who was worried my soul would burn if I didn't accept Christ and she wrote lots of poems for me about it - but she would have done that if I told her I was Catholic too (go figure) - and really she only did it because she cared...it wasn't persecution.

Anyway, in one of those freaky cosmic timing things I got read this article today:


-------- Modern druids partying 6 months too early ---------

SHEFFIELD, England - Some 20,000 robe-wearing hippies,
would-be Druids and science buffs who greeted summer's
arrival at Stonehenge early Tuesday were six months too
early. The scientific background to the claim is found in
Neolithic piglets' teeth that indicate the ancient Druids
gathered only to celebrate winter's vernal equinox, and not
the summer solstice, The Telegraph reported. Dr. Umburto
Albarella, an animal bone expert at the University of
Sheffield's archaeology department said pigs in that period
were born in spring and were slaughtered in December or
January, which supports the view the celestial revelry
happened only once a year, and not in the summer. The news
didn't dampen this year's turnout, however. The newspaper
said the overnight celebrants were all told to be away from
Stonehenge by 9 a.m. to allow a day-long massive clean-up
of modern garbage left by the crowds.


Quite honestly I'd rather be in England in the summer rather than winter too...better a warm Druid than a cold one. But I found it interesting that I've run into two examples of ill-informed "witches" in two days. Must be that time.

Oooooh Goddess!

By the way if you want to read a few simplified explanations about the true age of Wicca and some essays by very well-informed Pagans go to The Celtic Connection and specifically their Message Boards even more especially their Newbie Haven. Also look at the essays they have, and their book suggestions. Very good ideas.

The article came from Bizarre News.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, no. Summer in England is absolutely no fun right now. You can drink the air, it's so humid.