Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Apathy

They revealed who Deep Throat is...

Drumroll...

Mark Felt.

And I am filled with...well...not much. Actually I did have a bagel for breakfast this morning so I am full - but I don't care about Mark Felt.

The fact he keeps being called the "Number 2" man for the FBI makes this all seem rather anti-climatic. It's much like pulling the mask off Batman and finding Alfred.

Well no, that might be slightly cooler.

Mark Felt, Mark Felt, that's a craft corner not a Notorious Snitch.

Or I guess a hero. Or at least a good man.

Maybe I should care more about this, but I'm too young to remember and the most I really know about is are the snippets I learned from my Father. And that really bad Robert Redford movie.

My dad used to have (might still have but I haven't seen him wear it) a shirt that said "Don't buy books from crooks" with a thumbs down hand in the shape of Nixon's profile. I particularly remember this shirt because there are numerous pictures of him holding me as a baby with it on. I guess he either really liked it, or really hated it so didn't mind a little baby drool.

He also had a plastic Nixon mask that he would wear on Halloween. He had a good time telling everyone he knew he was the adults creepy nightmare. When I asked why he said it was because he did things "You're not supposed to."

I didn't think it was near as scary as Freddy.

But no matter how much I read about the "scandal" or hear about it...all I really associate it with is that "Crook" t-shirt and the weird mask.

And now a bunch of felt.

And markers.

Poor guys...even when they make history they really don't make history.

But I do still make it a point never to buy books from crooks. Which is why no one will get "Martha Stewart Living" for Christmas this year.

No comments: