Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I see London, I see France...

I'm often surprised at the things I find myself doing during the course of my job. One of the reasons why I like being an assistant is because I get to do a multitude of things in one day - true they're only the things other people don't want to do - but I'm okay with that.

Yesterday for instance I found myself walking throughout the entire building carrying a hefty and scary knife in search of a large cake that had gone missing.

Today I packed up a bunch of clothes, cd's, and a half a bag of "Bugles" for some guy out in Phoenix. I didn't actually pack the "Bugles" I don't know how old they are, but I left them in the breakroom that services "The Pit" and the "Pit Vultures" ate it. I get a little satisfaction out of that - "Pit Vultures" are horrible - I know - I used to work there.

It was an odd assortment of clothes today. Some nice shirts, pressed suits, etc. And a bag of gym clothes, as well as some random socks and underwear. I'm not that perturbed by this, living with two sailors who don't know how to do their own laundry I often find myself elbows deep in gross PT gear and unmentionables. It's not a big deal, except that it is. I am still shy about leaving my clothes out around my roommate. In fact I make sure that even if I don't take all the clothes to the dresser the second the dryer is done I still remove my bras and underwear...just so he won't see them. My husband used to play that pirate game with my thongs...and I have nightmares I'll come home and my roommate will be doing the same thing.

But guys don't seem to be that shy about it - case in point the box of clothes today. I'd never met this man before and he had no problem calling and telling me to pack up all his junk and send it on it's way. Why aren't guys worried about this stuff? Is it something girls are taught as we grow up? And why do we only teach girls. I mean sure I remember the whole "You can't climb trees in dresses" lecture...do boys ever get that lecture?

I don't think they do since I see boys walking around with their pants hanging around their knees and their underwear hanging out plain as day. What was it that made the "underwear covering" stick with me? Why are guys so open about their stuff? Why do they find the idea of thongs on their head so compelling?

I suppose it's another mystery of life.

No comments: