Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Lessons from the Mundane

Though no gremlins have popped out to get me today and in general things are running rather smoothly it's been on of those blah days.

The highlight of the day? My friend (and co-assistant in the office) came over and whacked me on the head with a piece of paper.

"Ow! What'd I do now?" I yell out indignantly.

"Nothing. I just felt like hitting you."

"Gee, thanks."

Boss#1 chimes in from his office, "What are you girls up too?"

"She's beating me up!" I say.

"Well don't hurt her, we need her around here."

"She'll only get a little bruise" says my counterpart.

And then we were back to the daily grind.

There is a lot of grinding too. Many things are due today and in order to make sure people stay in their seats and work through the lunch hour we provided pizza.

Our company deals in food, we even have a huge scary kitchen so there is always food to eat. Besides vending machines we always have cheap or free bagels and muffins and cookies. Iced tea, coffee, soda, the whole nine yards. And then we are always ordering lunch for someone, or getting food from companies in thanks, not to mention the birthday/going-away/you're having a baby parties. Food always abounds. And now I know why it's so readily available. Food is control my friends, food is control.

Today we provided the worker ants with pizza. Because there was pizza there was no reason for anyone to leave the office to get lunch, we had plenty. Because there was no reason to get lunch, and pizza only takes a few moments to eat, everyone was essentially forced by convention to go back to their desks, sit their butt down and work on the little project no one wants to do.

I use this technique on my bosses too, and they in turn use it on me. My job is to know where these guys are at all times and to be able to find them for meetings and when stuff hits the fan. Which is why I always prefer to order lunch for them. I go around, getting orders, and then in turn bring the food to their offices - so there is never ANY need to leave. More coffee?-I'll fetch it. Not because it's my job to get them coffee but because it's easier than having them run to the kitchen and be distracted by another worker or the shiny part of the sink. My life becomes easier when they stay in their offices.

Likewise, their life is easier when I'm here all day. Ordering lunch for me...throw something in for yourself. No don't worry about it, you work hard Katy get yourself a sandwich, on the company. Why? With the presence of a sandwich I have no excuse to run out of the building for an hour and fetch something to eat. This serves two purposes, I am always within reach of each boss so whenever they need something printed it gets done right away. It also keeps me from ever seeing sunlight, which makes my spirits climb and makes me long to play outside. I loose track of time and all I see are reports and schedules. There is no day time, there is no night, there is only my desk...with the cute little white stuffed cat.

So what did I learn today?

Control. I have learned how to control. And knowledge my friend is power. Knowledge...and bread with melted cheese on top.

No comments: