Thursday, January 26, 2006

Spooky

We have a large door that is made of glass. It looks out onto our deck and the huge lawn beyond. During the day when it's sunny and pretty you can sit in the den and watch deer splash around in the "crik" and eat our glass.

At night the doors are pitch black and mostly reflect what's inside the house. This is disconcerting, especially when I'm sitting on the floor watching something like "Masters of Horror" at midnight on a Friday. During these times I have to turn my back to the door and focus on the t.v. completely. Sometimes throwing a blanket over my head scarf style so I won't look at the large gapping holes of black opening out into the abyss. Maybe it's the scary movies, or the freaky music, or the fact I'm sitting downstairs, alone in an empty house while the "men" are upstairs and wouldn't care even if they could hear me scream but my mind goes wild over the glass doors.

I am always frightened that some night or other I will look at the slate of shiny black and suddenly see a disembodied head come out of the gloom. I'm sure this head won't actually be disembodied. In fact I'm sure it's very bodied, complete with a fully bodied, bloody knife ready to hack me into several tiny pieces.

Last night we weren't watching "Masters of Horror". People on the television weren't screaming and the nice warm fire accompanied by the nice warm husband allowed me to let me glass-door-guard down. Instead I was settling in to hear my husband tell about another plan to relive his boyhood. (A horror story in and of itself.)

"It'd be cool. I can get some black powder and a bunch of pipe..."

GASP!

Suddenly, something at the bottom of the glass door caught my attention. Rising up from the ground, outside in the cold, wintery, dark was something round. Something white. From far into the reaches beyond human sight it moved close to the glass. Features came into view, a nose, a mouth - both small. Surrounded by a dingy sort of white halo making a face. Inches away from a door that lead straight into my home. And finally, two large, glowing eyes. It peered into our house through the thin glass, fog came from it's breath. It heard me gasp...

My hand flew to my mouth. My heart jumped into my throat and pounded away. I sat straight as an arrow and trembled as it's red, firey eyes turned towards me. We met one another's gaze. I could feel my breath come back and warm the hand covering my lips, I could see the face turn just slightly to get a better look at me. It's features were placid, but the eyes showed a look of equal surprise to my own. Then...

"Kitty!!!"

My husband finally turned his head to look at the specter haunting our doorway. The white fluffy cat looked at us both in confusion as if it were surprised there were people in the big house. His hair was damp but fluffed up from the wind and the storm. It's ears were barely visible through all the fur and it's white face looked ghostly and pale surrounded by the dark night.

It looked between us a few more times, it's big glowing eyes growing larger and larger - then it took off into the yard.

So much for burly, tough axe murderers. They're all a bunch of pussy cats.

5 comments:

katy said...

I suddenly realize that by using the term "pussy cat" I'm gonna get a bunch of hits on statcounter for things that have nothing to do with meowing.

Ah, the internet.

Rowan Dawn said...

You need to get some blinds! Dark windows freak me out, too. I can just imagine people staring out at me.

Poor baby kitty!

katy said...

I'm leaving food out for the kitty so she/he'll won't be hungry. And if she wants to come inside that's fine too. Hehe

Fred said...

Speaking of internet hits, I get about five or six a day looking for "xxx teacher." Now that I wrote that here, I'm hopefully going to send them your way. :)

katy said...

Thanks Fred. My next post will be about a teacher who had an unhealthy love of x's.