Friday, October 07, 2005

Thursday Poem #1

On Thursdays I publish a report involving a bunch of different commodities. Each group supposedly sends me their report and then I re-do it and format it to be part of the whole.

I say supposedly because there are always a few groups that never get me their reports on time. A huge offender is the Seafood team. I have found myself sending so many emails to them every Thursday asking the same damn thing in the same damn way I had to find some way to stop the monotony (and keep the mood light for them). So Thursday Poem Day was started. Initially I was just sending my favorite parts of Lewis Carroll poems and then lacing them in with the reports, but it was brought to my attention that you know I write a lot so I should compose things of my own.

I'm terrible at writing poetry. Honestly I suck at it. My hope is that as I struggle to throw something together every week for my report reminders, maybe I'll get a little better at this poetry thing.

And since I'm embarrassing myself in front of my fish people, why not go all out and embarrass myself on the web too.

Yesterdays Fish Poem Follows:

A fish could never write a book
He's far more concerned with hooks
He swims in schools but never learns
To write about his concerns

Instead we list the end
Of a fish who didn't spend
His fishy-fun time avoiding
Sports like angling and boating

And now our Thursday sport
Is attempting to write a report
Of a fish whose only fate
Is to end up on someone's plate!


In my defense...the reply to my poem from the fish team was:


We're done, at last to grant your wish
Here's our weekly report on fish

3 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

He came upon the fish once more
to ask him what did he adore
about the teacher who writes a poem about him
and he said she did it on a whim.

Fred said...

How funny. Whatever works, right?

Rowan Dawn said...

That's cute!