Sunday, October 02, 2005

Doing It

Last Thursday we went to our first yoga class. I really enjoyed it. The husband liked it too, though you couldn't tell from all the groaning and fussing coming from my left side. I have to admit some of the poses were a tad difficult...but seriously, shush people.

Ever notice how it's mostly the men who whine in classes like that. The women stay silent. Maybe it's like a tool for attention or something. I dunno. All I know is that in all the classes I take I rarely hear a girl fuss or groan when we do something hard.

But that's not the point to this post. The point is something our teacher said in the beginning. I'm trying to remember exactly how he said it, but I probably have a few things wrong.

What's it feel like? (silence) What does it feel like to be doing? Doing something? (more silence)

Everyone get these ideas to try something, to do something that may make life better. That little seed gets planted, but for whatever reason the phone call isn't made, the appointment isn't set, the time never comes up. For whatever reason, we just never follow through.

But by virtue of you being here, at this class, you did it. You did something. Where ever the seed came from, you decided to give it a chance. And whether this is the last time you come here, or if you decided to continue, you made that step. You did something.

What does it feel like?


I'm not sure what it feels like. Like I want to keep making steps, like I need to keep making steps. Like I'm finally the one empowered rather than being the one who is empowering.

I think though that that little speech is gonna stick with me.

What does it feel like to be doing something?

3 comments:

Fred said...

Your husband is a saint. Keep him. I would've never gone.

Good message to remember. My "something" was to leave the corporate world and start teaching. It's a decision I'll never regret.

Rowan Dawn said...

As someone who has suffered through depression, I know all about the joys of doing something- getting up and brushing my teeth, showering and getting dressed were once very hard.

I don't know what my something is now, maybe I need to think about this...

katy said...

Fred: Heh...it was his own idea to accompany me. He's like a little puppy. I'll have to think up something like "fluffy bunny slipper making class" in order to get away from him. *lol*

So...hwo does your doing something feel?

Dawn: I too have had some serious battles with depression - including a year where I couldn't get up the energy or where withall to speak. Now whenever I feel those demons start to work their way back into my life I'll force myself to try something new with my life - a new haircut, a new class, new shade of lipstick. I don't know if my yoga instructor meant it like this, but the more I think about it the more I think that all important "something" can be as simple as starting a blog or reading a different magazine. At least it's something that can inspire us forward. At least I hope so. I bet when one thinks about it you could find tons of somethings.