Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Dr. Congress

There is an article today in the New York Times about when a fetus could potentially feel pain. In it they discuss a bill in the works for doctors to warn women about to have abortions that the fetus may need anesthetic. I am not going to discuss the right and wrongs of abortion, or if a fetus really does feel pain, or if the woman feels pain either. I just want to talk about one thing.

The bill includes a required script for doctors, and part of the script goes like this:

"The Congress of the United States has determined that at this stage of development, an unborn child has the physical structures necessary to experience pain."

Having been a woman facing a surgery like this, but not exactly, I am struck by this phrase.

The Congress has determined? The Congress? That huge bumbling body of detached American representatives are now considered a medical resource? They took my body and put it through committee? What else have they determined? Should I consult them before I get my blood drawn? How about the next time I sprain my ankle...should I ask Congress if I should get an aircast or an ace bandage?

Seriously, they want to take a very personal, private, medical decision, one that is difficult to come to in the first place, one that is overly daunting once you are in that room all alone and one that is most importantly all about the families involved and bring government into it?

How about this, The Congress can go determine whether or not it's a good idea to build a new freeway and my doctor and I can determine whether or not I want certain drugs put into me.

I've never really been a big protester and I've certainly not been known to chant slogans on the side of the street, but I finally understand one of them...and it seems fitting now:

KEEP YOUR LAWS OFF MY BODY!!!

And while your at it...keep The Congress's determinations out of the clinic.

Read the whole article here: Study Finds 29-Week Fetuses Probably Feel No Pain and Need No Abortion Anesthesia

No comments: