Monday, June 19, 2006

Ramblings - Practice Roadtrip

This weekend, for the first time since we've lived in Maryland (almost 2.5 years), my husband and I had Maryland crabs that were not in "cake" form.

And we only had to drive to Virginia to do it.

Well okay, we weren't in Virginia. But we were pretty darn close. We were in that strange Bermuda-triangle-esque area called "Delmarva". A wrong turn in any direction would have taken us to either Delaware or Virginia. Through the 12 gallons of gas and over 300 miles of driving I wondered how they came up with the name Delmarva. Why that order? Why not Mardelva? Vadelmar? Delvamar? Mary Delva? Vir Delma? Why Delmarva? And why is Virginia recognized by it's two letter code but Delaware and Maryland have to have three letters? Why couldn't we just use one letter for each and keep it far.

"Yo. What's up? I'm hailing from the DMV yo."

Ooooooh....that's why it's called Delmarva...

Regardless. We went there. We went in search of ponies. Which we found on Assategue Island. We saw five ponies, seven deer, one bunny and three doves. As well a hawk that I saw while were driving there. It's a comfort to know that there is someone else in the world who goes as crazy happy over seeing bunnies and ponies as I do. Or he's good at pretending he does. While other people will simply shrug when they see a squirrel climbing up the tree, I can feel comfortable knowing that not only will my husband not think I'm nuts for pointing out the little boing-boing squirrel.

We're a good match. And now I have proof that we are a good match in the form of our new digital camera - with 12 pictures of ducks being ducky, 7 pictures of bunnies hopping away, 4 pictures of squirrels, 7 more of a swan and a whopping 27 pictures of a flock of Geese eating sunflower seeds. All coupled with 2 pictures of me looking at squirrels, 2 of me looking at the swan, 3 of me talking to the bunny.

This is what we are preserving for our posterity. "And this little C. and little K. is when your Father and I stood in the park and quacked at the ducks. Here you can see your Father doing the duck-dance."

Yes, as far as mini-roadtrips go this one was fairly successful. A few animals, a tank of gas, and only one semi-temper tantrum halfway through. (His, not mine.) Which all ended in the elusive Maryland steamed crabs.

I made my crabs talk and do a cure puppet show. Then proceeded to split their head open and scoop out their guts. We both got very good at making lots of noise with the mallets. Any food that comes with a hammer is good food.

1 comment:

Rowan Dawn said...

grrrr now i miss the east coast. i grew up in upstate new york and have been camping in the adirondaks. there are these great cabins at minerva lake where we used to go when i was a kid

oh well. i am in texas now and there are trees here, unlike in montana. i am glad you are having a good time! later!