Thursday, June 15, 2006

Giggle

Right now I'm reading "A Popular Schoolgirl" by Angela Brazil. It's fun, I can't help but burst into a fit of schoolgirl giggles myself when I read it. It's so bubbly and cute and british.

It's topping - oops - there I go again *insert giggles here*

But on top of all the giggle-inducing phrases like 'right-o', 'topping', 'chuffed' and the like there are also a few situations that you can't help but smile at. For instance:

"You ought to help me with my exercises, though, Ingred," she wheedled. "Remember, it's for the benefit of the form. If you let me make mistakes, well--it's the form that will suffer. You can't call it _my_fault, it's on your own head. You know as well as I do that I simply can't spell, and it takes me hours to hunt up words in the dictionary. I'm looking for 'phenomenon' now."

"You certainly won't find it in the F's," laughed Ingred. "What an infant in arms you are! Here, then, go ahead, and I'll act as dictionary. You've only written half a page yet. You'll be a week of
Sundays at this rate."

"And I haven't touched my Latin or French!" sighed Fil dismally. "I wish I could go to a school where there isn't any homework, and that somebody would invent a typewriter that would just spell the words ready-made when you press a button."

"There's a fortune waiting for the man who does!" agreed Ingred. "'The Royal-Road-to-Learning Typewriter: spells of itself.' It would sell by the million, I should think."


Indeed!

No comments: