Saturday, December 23, 2006

Mele Kalikimaka

It's 60 degrees outside. People are ice skating in their t-shirts. Outside.

It's also two days till Christmas.

Luckily, I'm good at the warm weather Christmas. Growing up in Hawaii my Santa wore bermuda shorts and a hawaiian shirt. Our Christmas mornings were spent with a trip to the beach and a B-B-Q. We had sand, not snow. We drank iced tea, not hot chocolate.

So I should be perfectly able to get into the Christmas spirit in a tank-top.

But I'm not.

What I need, what I really want, is two scoops rice. I want manapua and guri-guri. Mix please. With the strawberry under the pineapple. I want ukulele's and na mele's. I want to stand with my friends and sing Surfin' Santa.

I want lumpia and poi. Lomi-lomi salmon and chicken long-rice. I want my Christmas pine to be a Cook pine, and I want my presents wrapped in hawaiian print. I want to sit outside on the lanai and talk-story with my ohana.

In short, if it's gonna feel like Hawaii, then I want it to be Hawaii.

I miss home.

2 comments:

Rowan Dawn said...

that sounds like a very neat kind of christmas! too bad you can't import a lot of that into your home, and turn it into your own hawaii!

too bad I have never heard of most of the stuff you have mentioned.

mezba said...

I love this weather - don't have to shovel snow! But it looks like global warming is now going to attack the white Christmas amidst other problems.

Merry Christmas to your family and have a happy new year. I am going to post soon on why I LOVE the christmas season.