Saturday, November 03, 2007

Blech

My husband was looking at a bowl full of tap water, destined for the fish bowl, and cocking his head from side to side.

"I think it's oil." He said.

Sure enough the water that has been coming out of our well had that rainbow-ish slick of oil mixed in it.

This house is my first experience with well water. Previously I used to think of wells as quaint holes, with a little brick walls around them, giving off buckets full of cool, crisp, fresh water. The kind of water you think about when you are really thirsty. The kind of water that tastes sweet and fills not just your tummy, but your veins, with life. Now I know, wells are a pain in the butt. They leak, they create swamps in your backyard and the water tastes vaguely of fish and mold.

The fish and mold I could deal with...the oil was another thing altogether. I invested in bottles upon bottles of water.

Today I was looking for just such a bottle. Our fridge was sadly lacking in chilled bottles of water and for some reason my line of new bottles had dissapeared. I realized I'd recently mopped the floor and could not remember where I had moved them too. But I knew we had more. We always have more. My fear of ingesting whatever else happens to live in my well causes me to forever stock bottles of water. I'm sure there is a small dragon laying eggs in my stomach right now. I am putting my faith in hydrocloric acid.

Off to the garage I went, me and my hatching dragon baby, and sure enough there was another bottle of water. It was nestled sweetly in a stack of winter tires, like a little baby bird. It would have made neat, semi-politcal art had I paint a face on it and wrapped in a baby blanket. Instead I hauled it in the kitchen and poured myself a tall glass of clean, pure, un-oiled water.

And took a sip.

Blech!! Ick! Ach! Blllllaaaaaahhhhh.

I dragged my tongue along my teeth, trying to get rid of the taste and figure out what was so familiar about it. What was that flavor? It reminded me of racing days spent watching cars spin around cones and leave sticky black marks. It reminded me of hours spent waiting for my car to be serviced. It had the vague feeling of that weekend my husband and I spent driving car after car after car and visiting dealership after dealership.

Then I figured it out.

"I think it's tire" I said.

Ewwww.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a kid, I fell from my bike while pursued by dogs on a country road. The dogs ran away, scared. I scraped my elbow.

The epidermis was mostly gone, replaced by a layer of dust. I should have known better, but I washed it with well water.

For the next several months, the surface of my elbow was a Petri dish. Experiment after experiment with antibiotics fails.

I can still barely make out the scar.

Oil is likely to kill the stuff. I'd hope.